Boon Boona Coffee
Renton / Sodo
Boon Boona Coffee is a minority owned roastery/cafe out of Renton, WA. We are reaching out to folks with all levels of coffee experience, with all gender orientations, and with all sorts of backgrounds because we want to discover our new coffee bar team member! Ideal candidate is anyone who is kind and self-motivated, who is interested in coffee and in professional growth, who would further deepen our diversity, and who would like to teach us what they know.
Boon Boona Coffee began its journey 10 years ago by procuring quality African green coffee for the East African community. In 2016, we started roasting our own coffee and in the beginning of this year, our brick & mortar roastery/cafe came to life. On the green coffee side of the things we are committed to supporting transparent, equitable and sustainable coffee practices. In our roastery/cafe, we are eager to nurture a culture that is empathetic, cooperative, arts & science-driven, and community oriented. We highly value each member's contribution to the Boon Boona culture, and we encourage them to introduce their coffee and non-coffee passions and interests to us.
We are dedicated to empowering our employees. Boon Boona Coffee has an established guidelines that structures how and when the support for professional growth is provided, so it is transparent and accessible to all. Some areas of the professional development opportunities include:
- Guidance and financial support to participate in coffee competitions
- Coffee sensory evaluation (cupping) training that is designed with CQI's Q Grader curriculum in mind
- Training on sample & profile roasting upon demonstrated interest
- Financial and logistical support for extra-curricular projects when possible – it does not have to be about coffee, yet it has to be about something you care.
The Coffee Roasting Operations Manager plays a pivotal role in ensuring the success of a coffee roasting facility. They are responsible for delivering high-quality coffee products to customers while maintaining efficient operations and adherence to industry standards.
Leadership & Operational Responsibilities
- Exercise empathetic and communicative leadership, sculpting a supportive environment for the Roasting Team.
- Manage Roasting Team through scheduling, regular meetings, and reviews.
- Supervise weekly scheduling, cleaning, and maintenance of the roasting and production area. Ensuring that roasting equipment is well-maintained and in optimal working condition.
- Oversee daily production, assuring accurate and timely product fulfillment.
- Manage green coffee and production supply inventory for the roastery. Maintains an accurate inventory through use of a computerized inventory system.
- Ensure compliance with local government workplace health and safety protocols are followed.
- Collaborate with and assist the Director of Coffee in the realms of quality monitoring, hiring, and training.
- Undertake frequent reviews and formulate improvement strategies in synergy with the Roasting Team.
- Assure consistent and reliable presence and functionality at the Roastery.
Roasting & Production Responsibilities
- Implement production roasts, adhering to predetermined profiles in collaboration with the Director of Coffee.
- Lead and collaborate on weekly QC cuppings, modifying roast profiles as necessitated.
- Perform ongoing QC on production roasts.
- Oversee daily production tasks, including packaging and shipping.
- Mechanical inclination: the ability to troubleshoot machine malfunctions and perform preventative maintenance as required.
- Occasional overtime work to meet production demands and assist the Wholesale Account Manager as required.
- Stay informed about industry trends and regulations related to coffee roasting.
- Standing for extended periods of time and stooping frequently
- Repetitive motions for extended periods of time
- Often lifting to 40 lbs and occasionally dragging green coffee burlap bags (up to 130 lbs)
- Record Keeping and Reporting:
- Maintain accurate records of roasting profiles, inventory levels, and production metrics.
- Generate regular reports on production performance, quality control, and operational efficiency.
- You blend leadership prowess with tangible production/roasting skills.
- Deep-seated passion for coffee, its quality, and production nuances define you.
- Your communication skills foster a collaborative, healthy, transparent, and supportive work environment.
- Adept in managing inventory, schedules, and overarching production workflow.
- A proactive mindset guides you, perpetually seeking pathways for optimization and enhancement.
- Proven experience of +2 years of coffee roasting, preferably in a managerial or supervisory role.
- Strong knowledge of coffee beans, roast profiles, and quality control.
- Excellent leadership and team management skills.
- Understanding of roasting equipment and maintenance.
- Strong problem-solving and analytical abilities.
- Effective communication and interpersonal skills.
- Knowledge of relevant health and safety regulations.
- Ability to work in a fast-paced, dynamic environment.
Compensation & perks:
- Competitive salary: $50,000 - $55,000 BOE
- Comprehensive health benefits package (medical, dental, vision)
- 7 days of paid time off as well as paid sick time
- Complimentary food and drinks during shifts
- Complimentary green or roasted coffee
- Discounted merchandise
Equal Employment Opportunity:
Boon Boona Coffee stands staunchly committed to crafting a workplace where every individual is valued, respected, and poised for success. We are an Equal Opportunity Employer and do not discriminate on the grounds of race, color, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, genetics, disability, age, or veteran status.