Your Cart is Empty

Decaf Mafinga Hills - Zambia NEW


Producer: Kateshi, Ngoli, Luombe Estates (part of NCCL Estate)

Importer: Olam Specialty Coffee

Region: Mafinga Hills

Coffee variety: Catimor

Decaffeination Process: Swiss Water Process

Processing: Wet-processed (washed)

Wet Mill: Kateshi

Elevation: 1300-1500 m

Crop: 2021

This Swiss Water®-processed and Rain Forest Alliance-certified decaf coffee is grown in the Northern Province of Zambia in Southern Africa. Mafinga Hills, a plateau covered with hills dictates the landscape in the region. Mafinga Hills high elevation provides a coffee-friendly climate to the area. Ngoli, Isanya and Kateshi towns are the main coffee growing centers of the region. Olam Specialty Coffee owns and operates Northern Coffee Cooperation Ltd’s coffee estate from where these beans are coming from.

This decaffeinated coffee from Northern Zambia has a lively acidity reminding us of plum and tamarind. And the full-body carries its malty caramel sweetness well.

What is Swiss Water® Process?

The Swiss Water® Process is a sustainable, transparent decaffeination method using water and the natural compounds in green coffee to gently remove caffeine—without leaving the residue chemical solvents do.

How does it work?

The Swiss Water® Process begins by infusing high-quality green coffee beans in pure clean water to create what we call “Green Coffee Extract,” or GCE. This step occurs only once, and these original beans are then discarded as compost. The GCE is then run through carbon filtration, which traps only the caffeine molecules in the carbon’s pores.

Next the GCE, now decaffeinated, is circulated over each batch of green coffee beans. The caffeine, not the flavor components, naturally flow out of the beans, through simple diffusion. Because the GCE is already saturated with all the soluble solids that give coffees their unique flavors and characteristics, any possible flavor changes that might occur are held to a minimum.

The Swiss Water® Process is paired with advanced scientific systems and controls to identify relevant variables that adapt and adjust for different types of coffees. Where the process needs to be slow, it is slow. Where temperature needs to be adjusted, it is carefully adjusted. Swiss Water’s technicians use constant data feedback on process performance to optimize each step and the overall outcome.

85% of water usage is returned to its resource as clean, community supply water; the remaining 15% is consumed through the coffee hydration.

Swiss Water® Process decaffeinated coffee is the chemical-free choice for coffee lovers.